June 30, 2009



I'm taking an on-line class on Vikings in Scotland via the Celtic Hearts Chapter. Key backstory in my WIP is a Viking-like culture, so, what the heck, I might as well learn a bit. I'm learning a LOT.

Some of my instinctive details are right on--like Dragon Ships. That was what they called the big war ships. Now I know how many men they carried, but I may have to modify the sails. My pseudo-epic is a modern-type story with a plot and skips the battle scenes. Real sagas started with the characters, their geneologies, and had lots of fighting.

A participant's post turned me on to Tyr, a Faroese heavy-metal rock band that performs songs based on their Viking heritage. They sing in Icelandic, Faroese, Norweigan, etc. Now, I prefer new-age, medieval, classical, Dylan, Joan Baez. I checked Tyr out on iTunes--they're terrific! To my amazement I got hooked and downloaded several songs, and can't stop listening.

Posted by Christie Maurer at 10:07 AM
Category label(s):
This entry was posted on 10:07 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

0 Comments: