February 17, 2011



I'm on my "who knows how many rewrites" of my WIP. I'm ably abetted by a critique group and our own Lynna Banning.

Right before I left for a short trip to Montana, my inner critic decided she'd been quiet too long and the bottom fell out of my writing world. You know the feeling. I'll never write anything good. No one will want me...why would an agent even listen to me...I may as well shut my computer, give it up, and get a J-O-B.

But sometimes a change of scenery is all you need. And going from Santa Cruz to Missoula in the winter was quite a change of scenery, although the below zero temperatures kindly waited to show up until we were on the plane south. I didn’t do much writing in Missoula, but regrouped, did some business and allowed my lungs to fill with brisk mountain air.


I’ve sushed my inner critic and gone back to my novel with renewed vigor. Sometimes when you’re stuck, walking away is the best thing you can do.




Posted by Casey Dawes at 8:01 AM
Category label(s):
This entry was posted on 8:01 AM and is filed under . You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

1 Comments:

On February 19, 2011 at 4:32 PM , Christie Maurer said...

I know exactly where you're coming from. Sometimes it seems I can't stand yet another tweak. And I page through the WIP and see a bunch of horrendous errors. Why would anyone want to read THAT?

Then I pick up a published book that "doesn't quite...", and it's back to the computer screen. Yes, it will be worth it in the end.